Full-Stack Web Developer
As web developer at Ought, you are in charge of the front-ends we use across different projects aimed at helping people think. Your primary responsibility is to design and build everything users see when they interact with our projects.
While your day-to-day work is centered around user interfaces, you need to have a strong grasp of back-end technologies, so that you can work with our researchers and engineers on integration with different kinds of server-side technologies, especially ones that use crowdsourcing and machine learning.
As part of your role, you closely monitor users' interactions with our apps, so that you quickly pick up on cases where users are confused or where their interactions are otherwise unsuccessful.
For example, you should be able to take a look at the work-in-progress user interfaces at hch.ought.org and thinkagain.ought.org, collaborate with our researchers to understand what their aims are, figure out how these websites currently succeed and fail at those aims, and improve them significantly.
- Experience building complex, interactive web applications
- Experience writing well-structured, maintainable code
- Strong UI/UX design skills
- Solid computer science fundamentals
- Experience using Git, pull requests, and code reviews
- Fluent written and spoken English
Good to have:
- Experience with modern web technologies such as ES6, React, Flow, and GraphQL
- Experience in machine learning, artificial intelligence, and/or data analysis
- Experience with HCI, crowdsourcing, or experimental psychology
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 20 days of paid vacation per year (in addition to national holidays)
- Modern workspaces, with funds available for equipment of your choice
- Relocation assistance
- Flexible hours
- Take into account that we're a new organization. You will have unusually large leverage and room for growth, including the potential to manage other employees and contractors in the future, but you'll also need more initiative than at an established company and you'll wear many hats.
- We prefer applicants who can work on site, but will consider remote work for exceptional candidates, including internationally.
- We're a non-profit. We generally try to pay Bay Area market rate, but won't always be able to, so this position is best suited for someone who deeply cares about our mission.
- Not sure which position to apply for? Just pick one for now, add a note on alternatives you're considering, and we'll discuss.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Ought is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.